Some people think that once you start awakening into greater consciousness, that you will instantly be imbued with a super-magnetic purple hue of kickassedness, suddenly impervious to all pain and being enveloped by past triggers ever again.
Some people think that once you begin to own your power, that your hair flows perfectly, as if blown by unseen gentle winds, like Queen Bey at Superbowl halftime. Because, you are that magnetic and potent.
Some people think that by simply learning of your light promotes you to Head Guru in a heartbeat, because you are able to shoot laser beams out of your Third Eye.
At least, that’s what we want to have happen!
When we first awaken into our higher consciousness, it is usually as a result of being fucked over one too many times, of being in such turmoil and heartbreak, or of not being able to endure the pain of the patterns and behaviors we have propagated for eons, that we simply are too uncomfortable to stay in the muddy mire that has been life as usual.
And, that’s when we take our first step out, into the unknown.
We then feel like naked chickadees, with fresh virgin yellow fur, still matted from our rebirth, searching for nourishment and light.
It is then that we feel most vulnerable and fragile. We are at our most scared, raw, open, and gutted.
And, our most liberated.
This is the feeling that I, and many others, have felt, when we first “wake up” into consciousness, and awaken into our power.
Our first steps are often the most awkward. Like the baby chickadee reborn, our legs may be a little wobbly at first, and we start to learn that we can chirp.
Then we learn to adapt to our new surroundings, awakened bodies and abilities, until we can walk faster, and chirp more loudly.
So, the Phoenix that rises up from of the ashes learns she no longer has to play small, fly low, or pretend that her wings are clipped in order for others to feel better about themselves.
I lovingly cheer on my patients who awaken into their power. Because, it is a brave thing to allow yourself to awaken.
Sometimes circumstances present themselves as such that you have no choice but to get woke. But, it is still a choice.
Here are the 7 things you will not be able to tolerate as you start to awaken:
- Bullshit. Granted, this is also a gift you will garner once you turn 40. Although, frankly, not all people who reach that milestone age have a refined bullshit meter! When you start to own your power, your tolerance for caca will reach an all-time low. This often extends into all facets of life, and starts to shift how you maneuver through life. You will start to reach out for things in life that bring you joy, rather than things you just tolerate.
- Your inability to jump through the space and time continuum to be self-actualized. It always happens – our rose-colored glasses come off, and suddenly, we want to be more enlightened NOW. We get impatient with our human limitations, because we can see what we want. And, perhaps we also see how long we’ve been unconscious, making us feel like we’ve wasted too much time already. This is also the time that we become acute aware (read: ashamed or embarrassed) of what we’ve done in the past, when we didn’t know any better. Love yourself, even (and especially) now. Self-forgiveness will liberate you. Then, allow your heart pieces to reassemble in its more potent, vibrant form. This will take some time. But, your timing is perfect.
- Friends who don’t have your back. When you start to realize that you matter in this world, that there is a secret X-Men within you waiting to be released, you will start to notice those in your circle of friends who do not lift you up, support who you are, celebrate your light, or bring you joy. And, you will start to sort the wheat from the chaff. It’s a bittersweet process. But, being the more enlightened version of yourself is not for the faint of heart! And, the result? Quality friends that you cherish, and who cherish you. Fully.
- Outdated behaviors. Like an ex-smoker who can’t stand being around cigarette smoke, outdated behaviors such as addiction to drama and intrigue and certain self-sabotaging behaviors that prevent us from receiving love and abundance (which does take time to detox from) will not be as intoxicating as they once were. In fact, you might find them repulsive. To add to the above point, you may find that any people who proliferate said behaviors are not the juicy BFF’s you once thought they were.
- Superficial satisfactions. We all have our vices. But, to live in constant Kardashian-ness, based solely on looks and material wealth as gauges of our worth in life (although, hey, I could be totally off about that, and maybe they’re really deep on the downlow?), will no longer satisfy our Spirit. Of course, let’s not get this confused with the fact that it is important to own your fabulosity on the outside (and inside!), and be proud of the abundance you’ve created! It’s important to own your Solar Plexus Chakra and Sacral Plexus Chakra power. What I’m talking about here is basing the meaning of your life ONLY on your net worth, wardrobe, or people’s perceptions of you.
- Jobs or careers that don’t serve you. As you learn more about what your Heart wants, and the joy of connecting to your Heart – which equals more greatly aligning with your Higher Self – you will begin to follow your passions with more authenticity. Anything less will not feel satisfying, and you will yearn to explore what you are meant to share in this world. This will have you embarking on a more joyful job choice or career that serves your soul. And, you will never look back.
- Partner dynamics that are not for your highest good. Have you been feeling stuck in a dead-end relationship, or one that is borderline (or outrightly) abusive? The realization that a certain love relationship dynamic needs to change can often be the most painful to experience. This doesn’t mean that you’re automatically headed for Splitsville, however! It just means that some aspects of your relationship will have served its purpose, and you may need to re-evaluate how to shift it into a more healthy one that elevates you, rather than depletes you. For some, it can mean that your soul contract with that partner has been completed, and it’s time to move on.
I know. I make awakening sound really glamorous!
It is true. At first, it’s totally not glamorous. It is hell in a hand basket.
You REALLY CAN shoot beams out of your Third Eye (especially if you do Reiki!) or harness your Qi (if you practice Qi Gong!)
As with everything, it’s all a work in progress at opening into your highest version of yourself.
And, being more greatly aligned with your true radiance, Dear One, is worth every penny from Heaven.
What have you witnessed within yourself when you’ve awakened?
I’d love to hear about it in the comments, below!
Copyright © 2016 by Alcantara Acupuncture & Healing Arts. All rights reserved. You may quote, copy, translate and link to this article, in its entirety, on free, non-donation based websites only, as long as you include the author name and a working link back to this website. All other uses are strictly prohibited.