I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, if you celebrate it! I went on holiday and spent time with family in Pittsburgh for the week. It was nourishing, somewhat relaxing, and a wonderful break from the concrete jungle of New York City! I say it was somewhat relaxing, because much of it entailed helping my mother decorate the house for Christmas! I even created some floral arrangements, from scratch, for her front lawn.
This article continues my chakra series, and explores how we neglect aspects of our personal power, and how that affects our chakra health; and, ultimately, our physical health.
In case you missed it, here are the other articles on the other chakras that have already been covered:
Why Repressing Your Anger May Be Harmful To Your Health (Sacral Plexus/Second Chakra)
Why Not Stepping Into Your Power May Be Hazardous To Your Health (Solar Plexus/Third Chakra)
Why Not Trusting Your Intuition Can Be Hazardous To Your Health (Third Eye/Sixth Chakra)
Why Not Speaking Your Truth Can Be Hazardous To Your Health (Throat/Fifth Chakra)
This week we focus on the Root Chakra, the First Chakra.
The Root Chakra is located between the genitals and the anus. Its element is Earth, its color is Red, and deals with issues surrounding identity, survival, and tribal/family issues. Blockage in this area can often happen following traumatic events, family problems, death of a loved one, and major life changes. Because it is the first chakra, any blockage here can effect the energy flow to the other chakras.
When our Root Chakra is blocked, we feel:
- Fear around survival
- Fear around security and being provided for
- Fear around financial and family (or group/tribe) security
- An inability to trust nature
- An inability to move forward in life
- Focused on material possessions (as in, a main focus)
Physically, a blocked Root Chakra can manifest as:
- Chronic lower back pain
- Immune-related disorders
- Varicose veins
- Constipation, diarrhea, rectal/anal problems, impotence, water retention
- Problems with the groin, hips, legs, knees, calves, ankles, and feet
When our Root Chakra is open, we are able to:
- Have a deep understanding of the ebb and flow of life
- Connect deeply with Nature
- Release grief, fear, and sadness
- Feel grounded and balanced
There are many ways to cultivate and open the Root Chakra. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Meditate on the color red. Visualize a red sphere whirling and growing in the area of your Root Chakra. Women can visualize it whirling counter clockwise, and men can visualize it whirling clockwise. Some enjoy opening their Root Chakra by visualizing their feet firmly planted in warm, comforting red earth or red clay, feeling the healing connection with the Earth. You may even enjoy visualizing yourself laying on a bed of fresh, red roses (with no thorns, of course!), and just feel the love. Not so coincidentally, roses also resonate with the Heart Chakra!
- Hug a tree. There. I said it. Tree hugging isn’t only for hippies named Sunshine. If hugging a tree is not your style, leaning against a tree, or a rock can be grounding, too. Other ways of getting Earthed is by going barefoot in the earth, grass, or sand. When I was in the Adirondacks over the summer, I did my share of tree hugging, and those trees are gigantic!
- Garnet is your go to. Garnet is a stone that corresponds with the Root Chakra. Keep it on your person, or hold it in your left hand when meditating (your left hand is your receiving hand). Other great Root Chakra stones are: ruby, flame agate, rubelite, carnelian, red coral, bloodstone, hematite, red jasper, black tourmaline, onyx, black obsidian, smoky quartz, agate, phantom red quartz crystal, azurite, and onyx.
- Anoint yourself with essential oils that resonate with the Root. Patchouli is an incredibly earthing essential oil. In Chinese Medicine, Patchouli is also great for the Spleen, which is the Earth element in Traditional Chinese Medicine. Essential oils are great for addressing specific issues, because not only do they smell nice, they are actually quite powerful and work on a more subtle level. Other great essential oils that help the Root Chakra are sandalwood and cedar wood. Make sure you get a good quality made oil!
- Receive a Reiki treatment. Reiki helps to open and clear chakra blocks, and rebalances the system on an energetic level. And, if you’ve been reading my blog long enough, you’ve heard me say many times how the energetic body is directly related to the physical body.
Dis-ease is simply a physical manifestation of what we carry in our energy bodies. (Click to tweet)
Now, it’s your turn:
Do you have a favorite way to clear your Root Chakra?
Did you previously have a blocked Root Chakra and you’ve opened it?
I’d love to hear about it in the comments, below!
Copyright © 2014 by Alcantara Acupuncture & Healing Arts. All rights reserved. You may quote, copy, translate and link to this article, in its entirety, on free, non-donation based websites only, as long as you include the author name and a working link back to this website. All other uses are strictly prohibited.
All information on this website is my own opinion, and not to be taken as medical advice. Reliance on any information provided on this website is solely at your own risk. Please refer to your medical practitioner before making any medical decisions.