“Intuition is seeing with the soul.”
― Dean Koontz
Intuition is a funny thing.
It is within all of us, yet confounds us.
It’s something that we often doubt, yet is powerful when trusted.
It is the difference between going forth in life blindly vs. with awareness.
When our Third Eye is strong AND trusted – because it is possible to have a strong Third Eye whose wisdom is ignored – we are in tune with our intuition.
But how do we know when the information we’re receiving is our intuition, and when it’s just wishful thinking?
It takes time and patience to get familiar with the way your inner wisdom “speaks”.
What is the language of your intuition?
Depending on how you take in information – clairvoyance, clairaudience, clairsentience, and claircognizance – you may have one or more ways that you receive intuition. Some have one strong clair, while others may receive wisdom through a few or all of them.
If you receive your information through images, visuals, and colors, your wisdom will come through via clairvoyance.
If you hear your response, it’ll be through your clairaudient gifts.
If you just feel it in your bones, clairsentience may be your language.
If you simply know it, it is likely that your wisdom arrives via claircognizance.
Here’s how to tell the difference between intuition and when it’s just your ego talking
- Ask yourself a question around the issue at hand. Go through the possibilities, and see how your body reacts to each option. You may want to simplify the process by asking your Inner Wisdom the question, “Should I _____?” That way you can focus on just getting a “yes” or “no”. If you feel like you’re in a good, still place, you may make the question more open ended, to see what guidance comes up for you. When you’re in touch with your intuition, and you’re truly receiving inner guidance, your body feels calm. It does not speak loudly. It feels right. You might even feel yourself “opening” to it. There is the energy of possibility with this option. In contrast, if you’re coming from ego, it will feel urgent. Maybe even fearful. The voice may be critical or loud. When the ego is talking, you may feel “closed”. It’s like a intuitive Stop sign. For some, it’ll feel like an energetic dead end, and there is no energy towards that option. Or, a part of you may feel panic around that possibility.
- That whirling in the tummy. Some people feel whirling in their abdomen when they’re trying to make a decision. That is either a sign of healthy fear that propels one forward when embarking on something new that will help them grow, or it could be the fear of self-preservation talking that is helping them avoid something harmful. Even though they may feel similar, being in the realm of fear, the feeling of excited fear towards possibility is different from the fear of something harmful.
- Breathe. Go inwards. Get centered. Take a moment from your racing thoughts, and just get centered. If you have a meditation practice, do that. If not, find yourself a quiet spot, and take in a deep belly breath through the nose for a count of 4, hold your breath for a count of 4, and breathe out of the mouth for a count of 8, with your eyes closed. That’s my quick and dirty grounding tip for when panic is setting in, if you’re feeling scattered, or your head is too full of the day. It’ll help you get centered, so you can make a better intuitive call.
- Ask your Spirit Guides for help. We all have a Team of Light (Spirit Guides, personal Angels, light beings) that helps us through our tough times, and even though mundane ones. The most effective way to receive help from our Spirit Guides is to just ask for it. Sounds easy, right? It is. When I’m stuck about something, one favorite way I like to ask my Spirit Guides for help is, “Please show me what I’m not seeing.” That way, we allow ourselves open to other possibilities we may have been previously closed off to considering.
- Use the wisdom of divining tools. Some people find it helpful to use divining tools, such as a pendulum, runes, or tarot cards. I don’t often use these tools. But, when I do, I usually turn to my Motherpeace Tarot Deck, draw a Goddesses Knowledge Card (those gorgeous images by Susan Seddon Boulet sends me every time!), or use one of my pendulums. One of my friends’ favorite ways of divination, something passed down in her family, is reading coffee grounds. Recently, a patient was hesitant about my suggestion to use divining tools, thinking that they are tools of dark magic. It all depends on how you’re approaching the use of the tool, and if you adequately ground yourself and ask protection when using them. One way to be sure of this is to ask your Spirit Guides for guidance, your Angels to protect you from those who may not wish you well, sage your tools before using them, set the intention that you are protected, and that all guidance received is for your greatest good, light, and love. After that, you’re good to go!
- If the guidance still feels inconclusive, take a break. Break up the intensity of your intuitive process by going out and getting some air, play with your dog, get some hugs, eat healthy food, play music that feeds your soul, or whatever else will help you momentarily disengage in healthy ways. I like to sleep on it, and revisit it at a later time.
We are all on this journey together on Earth School. Allow yourself the leeway to learn what works best for you!
In the end, trust that the decision you’ve made, based on the guidance you feel you’ve had, is in your highest good.
Do you have a favorite way of confirming your wisdom when making decisions?
If so, please share it with us in the comments, below!
Copyright © 2015 by Alcantara Acupuncture & Healing Arts. All rights reserved. You may quote, copy, translate and link to this article, in its entirety, on free, non-donation based websites only, as long as you include the author name and a working link back to this website. All other uses are strictly prohibited.