Why are vampire movies, like “Twilight”, and TV shows, like “True Blood” and “Vampire Diaries”, so popular? For some, it appeals to our sensual nature, or allows us to tap into the wonder of what it would be like to have superhuman or mystical powers, to fly, transform, be both evil and tormented, yet innocent and ageless. The reality is, however, that you don’t need to be some tormented teen with a Bieber hairdid, six pack, glowing contact lenses, and a custom set of fangs to be a vampire nowadays.
Energetically, a lot of things are transforming, opening, and widening. Many of my patients can attest to the intensity of things in the past few weeks, finally opening up into some calm. It can feel pretty wonderful lots of the time, but for many, the unanchoring of the denser energies can open a Pandora’s box of sorts for those who’ve been able to keep them “under wraps” all this time, only to now be triggered by things we thought we’ve been able to hide or suppress. The winds of change are such that we do not have the luxury to stay under that rock we’ve been proverbially hiding under, because we are now finding that the rock is no longer there.
How does this relate to psychic vampires, and what is a psychic vampire, anyways? To put it simply, psychic vampires are those who prey on the energies of others, and who literally drain your “life force”. Sometimes it is unintentional, sometimes we have even unwittingly done this to others. But, what I’m talking about in this blog post is when certain folks without the highest intentions purposefully draw personal power from others, with the intention of manipulation and self-gain, and to the detriment of the person who is psychically attacked.
How many times have you felt these symptoms:
- Feeling utterly exhausted after speaking with someone, when you weren’t exhausted before?
- Feeling suddenly insecure or unwell after interacting with someone, maybe even repeatedly, to the point of experiencing chronic physical pain?
- Feeling dizzy, losing sleep, having trouble concentrating, or feeling just plain irritable after an encounter with someone (outside of the fact that you may not get along well with the person in general?)
Sci-fi mumbo jumbo? Absolutely not! I have been seeing various patients lately who’ve been complaining about their chronic fatigue, feeling exhausted, drained, overwhelmed by being in public places, rattled and irritated by being around people, needing extra alone time in order to feel “rejuvenated”, labeling themselves “sponges” of everything going on around them. In a place like New York City, where you are surrounded by people, and interface with stimulation on a daily basis, where’s a sensitive soul to find peace and groundedness to plug into their power?
And, who are psychic vampires? They are sometimes the manipulative boss, the person in the subway who creeps you out, the coworker, the family member, the random person on the street or in the grocery store, the child, the elder, even the “friend”. I’m not trying to cultivate paranoia here, but simply illustrating that they come in all forms.
Enter the psychic vampire in the midst of the energetics right now, where triggers are being felt, and denser energies are being unanchored and unhinged. People, including psychic vampires, are feeling drained of power, even more than usual, and so prey on others to recharge.
Many of these same patients who are highly intuitive and sensitive have expressed that perhaps leaving New York City is the answer. For some that may be the best choice, but for others, it is important to learn how to cultivate your inner warrior. What some people don’t realize is that you can function and thrive, as a sensitive, despite psychic vampires. I’ve spoken in previous posts (here and there) about martial arts and self defense. But, it is just as important to learn how to psychically defend yourself, especially when you live in a place that is hustling and bustling!
Know your boundaries
What are your limits? Become aware of certain situations where you feel more empowered and secure, and those situations where you don’t. Listen to your body and act on it. If you want to attend a party, for instance, but know you could possibly feel overwhelmed by certain individuals attending, have your own ride or get familiar with the train schedule beforehand, and set a time limit of how long you’ll stay there. That way, you always have an “out”, and you know that your personal needs will be met. If the psychic vampires are people you have to interact with on a regular basis (like at the workplace, for example), make sure you don’t leave the house without psychically protecting yourself, so you are shielded before you even head out the door!
Practice psychic self protection
There are many techniques for psychic self protection, and whatever works for you, make it a habit every time you get ready for the day. Here are just some of the effective techniques I’ve found:
- White egg technique – I do this often during my meditation before I even get out of bed, because it makes more sense to me, personally, but you can do this any time of the day. Surround your entire body with white light, in the shape of an oval, or an egg. What this does is keep out all denser energies (like anger, hatred, resentment), while allowing all higher vibrational energies (like love, joy, honor, respect) to flow in, keeping you protected and fully functioning. Because I grew up watching Star Wars, Star Trek, Star Anything, and cartoons, I draw the white egg of light around me to the sound effect of the light sabers being drawn. It works! Make this one a habit by bringing it up when you brush your teeth in the morning. Feel free to repeat later in the day as needed.
- Crystal wall technique – I find this technique more effective when you’re in close quarters (such as in the subway across from a person who’s had a bad day, or shooting negativity at you, or within shared cubicle spaces.) When someone is directing bad juju your way, summon up a crystal wall 3 feet thick between you and the other person. It may seem like a simple act, but the other person’s energy will respond in kind, and will have no other choice but to focus their energies elsewhere. You will literally see them shift their gaze to another point of interest often when you do this.
- Crossing your arms technique – Your Solar Plexus Chakra (2″ above your navel) is where your personal power is seated. If you are put in the situation of having to interact with a psychic vampire, cross your arms in front of your Solar Plexus Chakra. This will prevent their immediate access to your power center.
Cultivate your personal power
- Call on your team of light – You may identify them as spirit guides, angels, ancestors. We all have a team of light we are surrounded by, even if we don’t physically see them. But our Higher Self knows they’re there. Call on them to protect you, and know they will show up.
- Harness your energy – Place your hands over your Solar Plexus Chakra. Imagine the ball of yellow light shining forth in that area, and growing with intensity. You may also place your other hand on the Dan Tian (the area between the navel and the pubic bone.) This area, in Chinese Medicine, is the power center. Not so coincidentally, this is also the area of the Sacral Chakra (2″ below your navel), which is the foundation of the emotional body (and is also where our sexuality and creative force reside, as well.) In women, Goddess Consciousness is seated here. Practice mindfully breathing into this area to cultivate your Qi. Qi Gong fortifies the Dan Tian.
- Carry black tourmaline on your body – Black tourmaline is probably one of the most (if not the most) protective stones out there. Wearing it on your person in pendant or bracelet form deflects all negative energies coming your way. Always remember to sage it first before wearing it, and clear it often if you’re using it in an area of high psychic vampire traffic!
Call your power back to you
Let’s face it, we’re not always on top of our game 24 hours a day. Sometimes we get tired as the day wears on, sometimes we forget to take that snack that keeps our blood glucose level up. Perhaps your resident psychic vampire took advantage of you while your white light egg had dissipated. When the attack happens, you may feel scattered, perhaps really irritable, perhaps a little panicky.
That is when you place your hands on your Solar Plexus Chakra and repeat, “I call all of my power back to me” three times. Own it while doing so. By the time you finish, you will literally feel all the power you allowed to leave come back to you, and you will feel clear. When I do this, I can almost hear the quick suction motion, like a vacuuming of little balls of light, of all my energy swooping back to me. This works for something that happened as soon as a few moments ago, to something that happened a few years ago (like when your experienced trauma in your life.) Sometimes we don’t realize that our words are that powerful. Yay for instant gratification!
Sound like I’ve had a lot of experience with psychic vampires? That’s because I have! If you’ve been experiencing fatigue and chronic pain due to feeling overwhelmed with outside stimuli, I’d love to help you!
There are so many ways to protect yourself from psychic vampires, and I’ve only included a smidgin of them here.
What are your favorite ways to protect yourself from psychic vampires, whether you live in a busy city or quiet suburb? I’d love to hear from you in the comments below.
Copyright © 2013 by Alcantara Acupuncture & Healing Arts. All rights reserved. You may quote, copy, translate and link to this article, in its entirety, on free, non-donation based websites only, as long as you include the author name and a working link back to this website. All other uses are strictly prohibited.
All information on this website is my own opinion, and not to be taken as medical advice. Reliance on any information provided on this website is solely at your own risk. Please refer to your medical practitioner before making any medical decisions.