Why Repressing Your Anger May Be Harmful To Your Health (The Sacral Chakra)
This week, I continue with my chakra series, which explores each chakra, as well as the physical imbalances that can manifest when it’s blocked.
In previous posts, I’d covered:
Why Not Stepping Into Your Power May Be Hazardous To Your Health (Solar Plexus/Third Chakra)
Why Not Trusting Your Intuition Can Be Hazardous To Your Health (Third Eye/Sixth Chakra)
Why Not Speaking Your Truth Can Be Hazardous To Your Health (Throat/Fifth Chakra)
This week, we’re talking about the Sacral Plexus/Second Chakra, which is located 1-2″ below your navel. In Chinese Medicine, this is the seat of the Dan Tien, the energy center, which we breathe into when doing Qi Gong and Tai Ji, to cultivate our Qi. In Reiki, this is home to our emotions, creative expression, sex and sexuality, abundance, and procreation. The body parts associated with this chakra are the reproductive organs, kidney, bladder, pelvic area, sperm, and all liquids and fluids of the body.
If you’re a longtime reader, you may already know that I am quite familiar with this chakra, on a personal level.
Last year, I had fibroid surgery, which I documented when I first discovered them, in “When Healers Get Fibroids (Or: Honoring How We Birth Our Ideas Into The World)“, when I ventured into the energetic reasons behind why our bodies may create fibroids (since there is no typical medical explanation, from what I’d discovered). When I finally decided to go through with the surgery, I wrote about my experience and recovery in, “When Healers Get Fibroids: Part II: My Recovery After Laparoscopic Myomectomy“. Finally, after recovery, I discovered lots of lifestyle changes I could implement, as well as shifts in energetic thinking, that could heal the Second Chakra, and hopefully prevent the fibroids from returning (since they often do when the issues surrounding their creation isn’t healed). I shared this in my blog post, “When Healers Get Fibroids: Part III: 8 Ways To Heal Body, Mind, And Spirit After Laparoscopic Myomectomy“. From the dialogue that ensued from those posts, it was apparent to me that I wasn’t the only one dealing with Second Chakra issues!
In the case of those dealing with fibroids, as I’d mentioned in Part II of my “When Healers Get Fibroids”, fibroids may represent:
- Difficulty with “birthing” new ideas
- A physical manifestation of fear or blockage about birthing our new ideas out into the world
- A tumorization process of old, negative, toxic thoughts, emotions, or feelings that are clumped together and proliferate
- Our creativity that was never birthed
- When we are flowing life energy into dead ends, such as jobs or relationships that we have outgrown
- Conflicts about creativity, abundance, reproductions, and/or relationships (in other words, 2nd chakra issues)
- Anger that your creative energy has been blocked
Oftentimes, healers become healers because they’ve needed to do a lot of healing, themselves! In my case, I think the fibroids represented a lot of what I had processed after many years of work. I thank my fibroids for pointing out that I had manifested outdated, negative, blocked beliefs and energies, which I had carried for way too long, and let me know in a non-malignant way!
In addition to fibroids, imbalances in the Sacral Chakra can physically lead to:
- Lower back, pelvic, or hip problems
- Ob/gyn imbalances (such as fibroids, cysts, and other reproductive system disorders)
- Issues around sexual potency and fertility
Energetically, imbalances in the Sacral Chakra can make one feel:
- Cut off and disconnected from their emotions and others
- Unable to express themselves creatively and emotionally
- Blocked from their abundance
- Unable to sustain healthy relationships
- Challenged when it comes to healthy sexual expression
Because of the Second Chakra being the seat of emotion, it is often associated with the Throat chakra, which is all about speaking our truth. I have seen it often in my practice when patients have shut down, or denied, their emotions, their Throat Chakra often becomes blocked. As we all know, everything is connected.
When we deny our emotions, particularly anger, not only do we block our Sacral Chakra; but, ultimately, our Throat Chakra, as well.
I have seen this happen often in those who’ve experienced sexual abuse as a child. Not only do they repress the emotions associated with the trauma, but the rage, as well. Rage is a stronger form of anger. And the rage, towards the abuser, as well as to oneself, can be immense.
Anger in general is a healthy emotion. It helps us understand what our boundaries are, what we will no longer tolerate, and creates impetus to change. However, when not managed correctly, it can be damaging to oneself and others. Being in balance with our Second Chakra helps us understand that it’s important to release our feelings in productive ways.
Luckily, there are things you can do to open up, and heal, the blockages in your Second Chakra!:
- Carnelian is your friend. Back in my days as a punk rocker, my piercings had barbells. Now my largest piercing holds a Carnelian plug, to help me continually work on healthy aspects of my Second Chakra. Other healing stones for this chakra are Orange Calcite, Citrine (as you can see in my previous post, it’s also helpful for balancing the Third Chakra), Moonstone, Snowflake Obsidian, and Orange Aventurine. Whether you wear it on your person, have it by your bedside, or meditate with the stone(s) on this chakra, you are bringing healing energy towards the aspects of creative expression, emotion, abundance, relationships, and connection to self.
- Do a Second Chakra meditation. This would involve visualizing an orange sphere of light, right under your navel. Orange is the color of the Second Chakra. Men should visualize the orange sphere of light rotating counter clockwise; whereas women should visualize the sphere rotating clockwise. Visualize the sphere growing steadily, increasing in power and vitality. Even doing this for five minutes a day can help build this chakra significantly.
- Heal the disconnected parts of you. If you have become disconnected from yourself, and are not comfortable with it, it might be time to explore why. When did it start? And, why? Once you find the root of when you started to shut down, you can build a new story around it, one that is empowering. Because, if you are still burdened by the story, it is controlling your life. Reclaim your life by no longer living in your past, and create a more truthful, authentic story that is in line with who you are, and what you want to welcome into your life. Start reaching out for help, start connecting with who you’re meant to be in this world, not the shattered, inaccurate image you’ve held onto all these years.
- Get in touch with your emotions. If you’ve been repressing your feelings all this time, especially due to pain, it’s time to allow for a big release! Don’t be afraid if you feel that in doing so, you will feel overwhelmed by your emotion. If you are releasing your emotions now, it is because you are being supported by the Universe to do so. If you’ve experienced sexual abuse or assault, this means facing it and releasing it. Sometimes people think that they’re stronger by holding in emotions on a regular basis. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Not being in touch with your emotions makes you inflexible with life, unable to make fully informed decisions, and ultimately manifests physically in ways that do not benefit you!
- Dance or hula hoop. Dancing and hula hooping moves the hips! Latin dances, such as salsa and merengue, particularly celebrate the Sacral Chakra. And, enjoying the expression of music is also honoring the creative expression resonance within you.
- Receive a Reiki chakra-balancing treatment. As with any chakra imbalance, healing modalities, such as Reiki, are excellent for clearing out the energetic debris of this, or any other, chakra.
How have Second Chakra issues manifested in your life, and how did you address them?
I’d love to hear about them in the comments, below!
Orange is the new black,
Copyright © 2014 by Alcantara Acupuncture & Healing Arts. All rights reserved. You may quote, copy, translate and link to this article, in its entirety, on free, non-donation based websites only, as long as you include the author name and a working link back to this website. All other uses are strictly prohibited.
All information on this website is my own opinion, and not to be taken as medical advice. Reliance on any information provided on this website is solely at your own risk. Please refer to your medical practitioner before making any medical decisions.
JeannetteJanuary 12, 2015
I just found this site while searching reiki over the holidays, very glad I did! I’m hoping this will be the final leg of my healing!
I have been very I’ll for the last 6 years. I’m diagnosed w/ chronic pelvic pain, due to the muscles on my pelvic floor being in a spasm.
My pain has taken me to many different directions and I’ve endured many invasive procedures, including a complete bilateral hysterectomy, all which failed to help, and some exasperated the symptoms.
During my illness I read Perfect Health, by Deepak Chopra, and zoned in on the 2nd chakra, besides my pelvic pain, my hearing has become super sensitive, to the point that I often wear ear plugs. I’ve also learned from this book that I’m a vatta/kappa.
It wasn’t until very recently that I realized along with my therapist, that my early sexual history falls in the category of sexual abuse. I’m working on processing this correctly after 25 years of stifling it.
I’ve actually had 2 distance reiki phone sessions with another reiki master early in my illness. At the time, I had a different diagnosis from my Dr’s. I had no signs of any changes after these treatments.
Do you have any input for me? I’m hoping as I go through my therapy for my sexual abuse, my pains will subside. I am looking for anyway to shed this pain and be able to move on with my life.
Margarita Alcantara, M.S.Ac., L.Ac., Reiki Master/TeacherJanuary 12, 2015
Sounds like you’ve been through a lot in the past 6 years! I don’t know your medical history in detail, but it appears as if the energetic constriction in the second chakra has manifested physically. Looks like you’ve created an opening for healing around your sexual abuse, which may be pivotal in your healing from the pelvic floor spasm. The super sensitive hearing is one of the ascension symptoms, so this is good (it will pass, eventually)! And, frankly, I feel your pelvic floor pain is also part of that movement you are doing to release those denser energies you are carrying around your sexual abuse, that you no longer want to hold onto. I encourage you to continue with Reiki sessions. A hands on session would be best at this moment. And, if you’re ready to move through the painful emotions, apply 5-6 drops of Patchouli essential oil 1-2″ below your navel, and brush upwards.
JeannetteJanuary 14, 2015
Thank you so much for responding so quickly! I already have the patchouli oil, so I’ll get right on it.
I’d be @ your door for an appointment, but I’m in So. California. Thank you for your advise!
Margarita Alcantara, M.S.Ac., L.Ac., Reiki Master/TeacherJanuary 16, 2015
You’re welcome! I hope it’s helpful. Feel free to drop me a line if you’d ever like to do a distance Reiki treatment!
KathySeptember 1, 2015
I was very interested to read the above posts by Jeanette as I have the exact same problem- pelvic floor spasms which have caused me much pain, as well as bladder urge /hesitancy and most recently a similar feeling of incomplete emptying after defecation , resulting in the constant feeling of having to go ‘to the bathroom on that end as well .
All of this is due to spasm in my pelvic floor ,According to my physical therapist. I agree with my Physical therapist that this is the cause of my pain and dysfunction.
However I have no memories of any sort of sexual abuse in my life. i had a Loving normal childhood and I’m sure abuse did not Occur .
I have seen therapists during these years, And even tried a couple of reiki sessions, Without improvement.
Any Advice would be much appreciated. Thank you
Margarita Alcantara, M.S.Ac., L.Ac., Reiki Master/TeacherSeptember 3, 2015
Thanks for your comment! Just because there are pelvic floor spasms doesn’t necessarily mean there was sexual abuse. It could be other 2nd Chakra issues mentioned above. Or, if there is no physical cause or trauma to the area, you may want to look into past life trauma you may have carried into this life. I’ve seen this pain manifest for various reasons, from physical to energetic. One of my patients had success in treating her pain, particularly vaginal pain, when combining acupuncture in our treatments with physical therapy.
Terry ApplegateMay 22, 2016
I had a full robotic hysterectomy just recently became interested and started studying the chakras. I have not been 100% (more mentally) since and the reading has made me conscious of the fact the I may have a blockage in the chakras that might be contributing to my “loss of self”. Can you offer any guidance – keeping in mind that I am pretty new to this and it may need to be slowly done :-).
Margarita Alcantara, M.S.Ac., L.Ac., Reiki Master/TeacherMay 23, 2016
I’m actually going to be offering an online course soon to explore empowering yourself by understanding, and getting connected with, your chakras, called, “Free Your Inner Goddess: Energy Warrior Training”! If you want to be first to know when it launches, sign up at http://bit.ly/GoddessWarrior.
In the meantime, check out my blog posts on chakras, using the search engine on the right column, especially my chakra series where I explore each chakra individually. You can also check out my article on MindBodyGreen, “Your Chakras Are Probably Out Of Balance. Here’s How Reiki Can Help” at http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-16807/your-chakras-are-probably-out-of-balance-heres-how-reiki-can-help.html.
TarynSeptember 26, 2018
I’m not sure what I’m searching for but stumbled across your page while researching what I have recently learned, my sacral is blocked. I’m an attractive, fun, enthusiastic 35 year old female bartender that has never had problem with attention from both women and men. I’ve always been chased and persued and have been aroused by men, desired them, etc.., but have learned that my low libido, sexual awkwardness and indulgent behaviors (booze & shopping) are all related to my blockage/imbalance. During my recent reiki session but mostly after, I was quite devastated to have witnessed a complete stranger pin point my “personal” issues surrounding sex. I don’t crave it, I feel like I don’t have sexual fantasies, I don’t get the standard signs of arousal and find it painful. As if my body has simply said no! I have a wonderful man in my life who deserves a women who wants to have sex and I rarely do. We want a family and have looked into medically why it hasn’t happened but according to modern medicine, we’re healthy. I honestly chalked it all up to divine timing….its just not yet.
With your spiritual and medical background, is there more I can do to over come whatever trauma I holding on to? or a combination of treatments, modern, western, old world, spiritual…anything. I’ve tried therapy and discussing what could’ve bern, would’ve been, the maybes…but I’m honestly just so defeated by this new knowledge and EMBARASSED. I’m supposed to be in my sexual prime yet its the last thing on my mind.