This week, I continue with my chakra series, which explores each chakra, as well as the physical imbalances that can manifest when it’s blocked.
In previous posts, I’d covered:
Why Not Stepping Into Your Power May Be Hazardous To Your Health (Solar Plexus/Third Chakra)
Why Not Trusting Your Intuition Can Be Hazardous To Your Health (Third Eye/Sixth Chakra)
Why Not Speaking Your Truth Can Be Hazardous To Your Health (Throat/Fifth Chakra)
This week, we’re talking about the Sacral Plexus/Second Chakra, which is located 1-2″ below your navel. In Chinese Medicine, this is the seat of the Dan Tien, the energy center, which we breathe into when doing Qi Gong and Tai Ji, to cultivate our Qi. In Reiki, this is home to our emotions, creative expression, sex and sexuality, abundance, and procreation. The body parts associated with this chakra are the reproductive organs, kidney, bladder, pelvic area, sperm, and all liquids and fluids of the body.
If you’re a longtime reader, you may already know that I am quite familiar with this chakra, on a personal level.
Last year, I had fibroid surgery, which I documented when I first discovered them, in “When Healers Get Fibroids (Or: Honoring How We Birth Our Ideas Into The World)“, when I ventured into the energetic reasons behind why our bodies may create fibroids (since there is no typical medical explanation, from what I’d discovered). When I finally decided to go through with the surgery, I wrote about my experience and recovery in, “When Healers Get Fibroids: Part II: My Recovery After Laparoscopic Myomectomy“. Finally, after recovery, I discovered lots of lifestyle changes I could implement, as well as shifts in energetic thinking, that could heal the Second Chakra, and hopefully prevent the fibroids from returning (since they often do when the issues surrounding their creation isn’t healed). I shared this in my blog post, “When Healers Get Fibroids: Part III: 8 Ways To Heal Body, Mind, And Spirit After Laparoscopic Myomectomy“. From the dialogue that ensued from those posts, it was apparent to me that I wasn’t the only one dealing with Second Chakra issues!
In the case of those dealing with fibroids, as I’d mentioned in Part II of my “When Healers Get Fibroids”, fibroids may represent:
- Difficulty with “birthing” new ideas
- A physical manifestation of fear or blockage about birthing our new ideas out into the world
- A tumorization process of old, negative, toxic thoughts, emotions, or feelings that are clumped together and proliferate
- Our creativity that was never birthed
- When we are flowing life energy into dead ends, such as jobs or relationships that we have outgrown
- Conflicts about creativity, abundance, reproductions, and/or relationships (in other words, 2nd chakra issues)
- Anger that your creative energy has been blocked
Oftentimes, healers become healers because they’ve needed to do a lot of healing, themselves! In my case, I think the fibroids represented a lot of what I had processed after many years of work. I thank my fibroids for pointing out that I had manifested outdated, negative, blocked beliefs and energies, which I had carried for way too long, and let me know in a non-malignant way!
In addition to fibroids, imbalances in the Sacral Chakra can physically lead to:
- Lower back, pelvic, or hip problems
- Ob/gyn imbalances (such as fibroids, cysts, and other reproductive system disorders)
- Issues around sexual potency and fertility
Energetically, imbalances in the Sacral Chakra can make one feel:
- Cut off and disconnected from their emotions and others
- Unable to express themselves creatively and emotionally
- Blocked from their abundance
- Unable to sustain healthy relationships
- Challenged when it comes to healthy sexual expression
Because of the Second Chakra being the seat of emotion, it is often associated with the Throat chakra, which is all about speaking our truth. I have seen it often in my practice when patients have shut down, or denied, their emotions, their Throat Chakra often becomes blocked. As we all know, everything is connected.
When we deny our emotions, particularly anger, not only do we block our Sacral Chakra; but, ultimately, our Throat Chakra, as well.
I have seen this happen often in those who’ve experienced sexual abuse as a child. Not only do they repress the emotions associated with the trauma, but the rage, as well. Rage is a stronger form of anger. And the rage, towards the abuser, as well as to oneself, can be immense.
Anger in general is a healthy emotion. It helps us understand what our boundaries are, what we will no longer tolerate, and creates impetus to change. However, when not managed correctly, it can be damaging to oneself and others. Being in balance with our Second Chakra helps us understand that it’s important to release our feelings in productive ways.
Luckily, there are things you can do to open up, and heal, the blockages in your Second Chakra!:
- Carnelian is your friend. Back in my days as a punk rocker, my piercings had barbells. Now my largest piercing holds a Carnelian plug, to help me continually work on healthy aspects of my Second Chakra. Other healing stones for this chakra are Orange Calcite, Citrine (as you can see in my previous post, it’s also helpful for balancing the Third Chakra), Moonstone, Snowflake Obsidian, and Orange Aventurine. Whether you wear it on your person, have it by your bedside, or meditate with the stone(s) on this chakra, you are bringing healing energy towards the aspects of creative expression, emotion, abundance, relationships, and connection to self.
- Do a Second Chakra meditation. This would involve visualizing an orange sphere of light, right under your navel. Orange is the color of the Second Chakra. Men should visualize the orange sphere of light rotating counter clockwise; whereas women should visualize the sphere rotating clockwise. Visualize the sphere growing steadily, increasing in power and vitality. Even doing this for five minutes a day can help build this chakra significantly.
- Heal the disconnected parts of you. If you have become disconnected from yourself, and are not comfortable with it, it might be time to explore why. When did it start? And, why? Once you find the root of when you started to shut down, you can build a new story around it, one that is empowering. Because, if you are still burdened by the story, it is controlling your life. Reclaim your life by no longer living in your past, and create a more truthful, authentic story that is in line with who you are, and what you want to welcome into your life. Start reaching out for help, start connecting with who you’re meant to be in this world, not the shattered, inaccurate image you’ve held onto all these years.
- Get in touch with your emotions. If you’ve been repressing your feelings all this time, especially due to pain, it’s time to allow for a big release! Don’t be afraid if you feel that in doing so, you will feel overwhelmed by your emotion. If you are releasing your emotions now, it is because you are being supported by the Universe to do so. If you’ve experienced sexual abuse or assault, this means facing it and releasing it. Sometimes people think that they’re stronger by holding in emotions on a regular basis. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Not being in touch with your emotions makes you inflexible with life, unable to make fully informed decisions, and ultimately manifests physically in ways that do not benefit you!
- Dance or hula hoop. Dancing and hula hooping moves the hips! Latin dances, such as salsa and merengue, particularly celebrate the Sacral Chakra. And, enjoying the expression of music is also honoring the creative expression resonance within you.
- Receive a Reiki chakra-balancing treatment. As with any chakra imbalance, healing modalities, such as Reiki, are excellent for clearing out the energetic debris of this, or any other, chakra.
How have Second Chakra issues manifested in your life, and how did you address them?
I’d love to hear about them in the comments, below!
Orange is the new black,
Copyright © 2014 by Alcantara Acupuncture & Healing Arts. All rights reserved. You may quote, copy, translate and link to this article, in its entirety, on free, non-donation based websites only, as long as you include the author name and a working link back to this website. All other uses are strictly prohibited.
All information on this website is my own opinion, and not to be taken as medical advice. Reliance on any information provided on this website is solely at your own risk. Please refer to your medical practitioner before making any medical decisions.